Dentistry is one profession where gloves are absolutely mandatory. Dentists need to wear gloves for more 50 hours per week while attending to patients. The right dental gloves can save the dentists as well as the patients from transmissible infections and allergies. Dentists also use dental gloves to protect their hands from the harsh antiseptic solutions that is commonplace in their practice.
Dentists need to use dental gloves because they often come in contact the blood and saliva of their patients. Using the right kind of dental gloves and taking other precautions can lead to an appreciable decrease in the number of diseases transmitted from patients to dentists and vice-versa.
What Kind Of Dental Gloves Are Available In The Market?
Previously, latex and vinyl gloves were the most favoured option as dental gloves for dentists. But the times have changed and now there are a range of dental gloves for dentists to choose from.
Different types of gloves have their own strengths and weaknesses and hence it depends on the dentist to choose the dental gloves best suited to their requirements.
- Latex gloves:- These gloves continue to be the most favoured option for dentists in different countries. They are available in powdered and non-powdered variants, and powdered variants are preferred because it is easy to put them on and take them off. They are cheaper in comparison to the other options available in the market and provide high barrier protection and tactile sensitivity. If your job entails working with certain chemicals, then you must refrain from using these gloves. The same goes for people suffering from latex allergies.
- Nitrile gloves :- They are considered as the best latex free examination gloves and as used around the world as an alternative to latex gloves. These gloves have higher resistance to punctures and chemicals than both latex and vinyl gloves. You can buy with them confidence because they are only allowed in the market after they have been cleared by the FDA.
- Vinyl gloves :- These are the most affordable options in the market and can be a considered as a good choice for work applications where high levels of protection and durability is not required. Since they are allergy free, they are seen as a very good alternative to latex gloves. They aren’t really the best choice for surgical procedures given the high levels of failure. Off late, new variants of vinyl gloves have been launched in the market which promise a better fit and also comfort of use.
How To Pick The Right Dental Gloves?
There are a lot of options available in the market, which makes the task of choosing the right glove somewhat difficult, but with the help of the parameters mentioned below, you should be on the right path of choosing the right dental gloves!
- Size :- Size is probably the most important factor to consider when go about buying dental gloves. Don’t pick anything too tight or too loose as that can hinder flexibility, ease of movement and instead cause hand fatigue.
- Thickness :- You will find gloves available in different variants of thickness, right from 2 millimetre to 8 millimetres. You should ideally go for dental gloves which are somewhere around 4 millimetre’s in thickness.
- Tensile Strength :- This signifies the extent to which the glove can be stretched before it breaks. It is measured in megapascals and it is one of the most important factors to consider when you are looking for dental gloves. Look for gloves which have a considerable high resistance to tear.